Monday, April 12, 2010

Contemporary Greats!

What do Tomie dePaola, Patricia Polacco and Cynthia Rylant have in common? They are excellent writers of children's book. I am pretty sure you have heard of these authors before, but let me join their groups of admirers. I think I love them because they are good storytellers and they write about relationships in their own unique style. Each author works to tell their story, but also about their characters. I really like that. I always prefer a character-driven story over a plot-driven one. It also seems that they are telling me something about themselves, as I listen to the tales they spin, about their own culture, about concepts that are important to them, and about subjects that interest them. It might be naive to imagine, but I think I might like these authors, if I were to meet them.

Tomie dePaola began writing and drawing at an early age. Born in 1934, in Connecticut, he had a happy childhood and knew he always wanted to be involved in art. His love of books developed probably because his mom read to him, all the time. He draws on his family experiences and his heritage when he writes. He writes about legends, The Legend of Bluebonnet, bible stories, religious characters, St. Francis, the Poor Man of Assisi, folk tales and family. His books range from fun and silly, like Fin who outsmarted a giant, Fin McCoul, to some pretty serious topics, like a little boy dealing with his grandfather's illness, in Now One Foot, Now the Other. His writing is direct and honest, just right for children aged 7-10 years and his illustrations are clear and simple and make his point. I love his books about Strega Nona, an old Italian woman, and her friend Anthony. He also wrote about his own family - one of my favorites is Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs.

Patricia Polacco is also a well-known writer and illustrator. She illustrates her own books, beautifully with a sophisticated and emotive style. Her stories are usually about the relationship between a child and an older person, like a grandparent or teacher. She mentions in her short autobiography on her website, that she spent a lot of time with her own grandparents when she was young - and she cherishes those memories. Although she has always been an artist, she did not start writing her stories until she was 41 years old. Her stories are wonderful, because they show a her young characters learning something about themselves or about life, growing more confident, becoming a better person. These protagonists are always helped by the nurturing of some loving elder person in their community. In Mr. Lincoln's Way, a principal helps a troubled boy. In The Keeping Quilt, Ms. Polacco shares a special tradition from her culture with her readers. In Just Plain Fancy, two little girls gain a clearer understanding of their own faith. In Thank You, Mr. Falker, a little dyslexic girl is diagnosed and helped by her teacher. And in one of my favorite, Chicken Sunday, readers find an excellent example of tolerance and cultures living side-by-side. A warning to the tender-hearted: It is hard to get through Patricia Polacco's stories without emotion, so just know this if you are planning to read them to a group of children!

Cynthia Rylant - if I could just write one small story, as powerfully as she does! Her words have almost a lyrical quality as she describes her days with her grandparents in, When I Was Young in The Mountains. And I am carried away to my own memories, when I read The Relatives Came. Maybe that's because she writes poetry - a free verse type, or a prosy poetry, if that's such a thing. Many people, especially pet lovers, like her Dog Heaven and subsequent Cat Heaven books. The Henry and Mudge, chapter book series is excellent for 1st and 2nd grade readers. I must recommend two of her books. Though they are written for middle school age, any adult would grow from reading them. A Fine White Dust, a Newberry Honor book, is about a young boy learning truth about faith and God. And Missing May, a Newberry Award book, is about a girl and her adopted father, working through the grief of losing May.

I like these three authors, so much, that I collect any books they write. My collection is growing, since these contemporary authors keep writing wonderful books. I believe the reason their work resonates with so many people, is that these authors, dePaola, Polacco, and Rylant, write true words. Their stories never fail to spark interest, encourage and inspire, because the ideals they choose to write about, come from their own hearts, their own passion. Whether their tales are funny, sad, historical, mythical, or relational, they are mostly about learning to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment